Amy Packham is based in Sussex and has practised primarily in the Crown Courts of Sussex, Surrey and Kent since pupillage in Lewes in 2000.
Amy is an established criminal practitioner and has built up a strong criminal practice. She undertakes work in all areas of criminal law and has an established specialism in cases involving rape and serious sexual offences, including allegations of non-recent abuse.
Amy prosecutes and defends across the full spectrum of Crown Court offences and is routinely instructed in difficult and complex cases, including murder, attempted murder, false imprisonment, drugs, fraudulent trading and fatal driving cases.
Amy has also prosecuted a number of multi defendant trials in cases involving people trafficking for prostitution, drugs conspiracy cases, mass public disorder cases and cases of serious violence.
She is experienced in appellate advocacy having drafted many documents for submission to the Court of Appeal in appeals against both conviction and sentence and has appeared in the Court of Appeal on a number of occasions.
Amy has been trained specifically in relation to the handling of vulnerable witnesses and has a lot of experience of cases involving young and vulnerable witnesses and defendants.
Amy’s dedication, preparation and hard working approach make her a popular choice for complex cases. She is regularly instructed in high profile matters and has an excellent reputation for handling difficult and sensitive cases.
Level 4 CPS Prosecutor
- Prosecuted two Cadet leaders for abuse (2021).
- Secured conviction for inciting racial hatred online (2021).
- Prosecuted in a grooming case involving a 14-year-old victim (2021).
- Secured conviction of Scout Leader in first trial held at Lewes Court post-lockdown (2020).
- Represented CPS in the Court of Appeal, responding to an application for leave to appeal conviction with unusual jury irregularity (2020).
- Secured grandfather’s acquittal after allegations of sexual abuse (2019).
- Secured convictions in County Lines Drug Case (2019).
- R v Adebayo & Hemmens (2019): Prosecution of County Lines drug dealer for multiple stabbing and of 81 year old getaway driver charged with assisting an offender.
- R v CD (2019): Fraud by abusing her position as Lawful Power of Attorney over her mother’s finances whilst mother lacked capacity due to suffering from dementia.
- R v Phanor, Saili and Samuels (2019): Multi-handed County Lines Drug conspiracy. Complex
presentation of cell site and telecomms evidence. (Prosecuting)
- R v Malcolm Maxted (2019): Robbery of hedge fund manager in own home by men in balaclavas with a sawn off shotgun. Defending : Acquitted.
- R v R v ** (2018): Prosecution of BA pilot for reporting for duty under the influence of alcohol
- R v Hooper (2018): Allegations of historic sexual abuse of child with learning difficulties. Defending.
- R v Everest(2018): Serial rapes of vulnerable young women (Life sentence).
- R v Madden (2018) Causing death by dangerous driving.
- R v Jackson (2018) Rape of 14 year old biological daughter. (Extended sentence)
- R v Oxley (2107) High profile case of causing death by dangerous driving having crashed into a family of five pedestrians.
- R v Bissett & Lawrence (2017) Gang rape of 15 year old young female.
- R v Gully (2017) High profile trial of stranger rape in public toilets of a boy. Defendant was
an internationally renowned sex therapist.
- R v Doos (2017) Stranger rape.
- R v ** (2017) Rape of 4 year old niece.
- R v Huggett (x6) Fraud involving six members of the same family abusing responsible positions to defraud employers.
- R v Cutler (2016) Rape of a child.
- R v Cooper (2016) Attempted murder. (Life sentence)
- R v Simon, Simon et al. (2015) False imprisonment and perverting the course of justice.
- R v Mann (2015) Attempted murder. Defence of insanity.
- R v Toth et al. (2014) Conspiracy to traffic people into the UK for the purpose of prostitution.