Ed currently accepts instructions in employment, discrimination and regulatory/professional discipline matters.
Employment & Discrimination
Ed takes instructions in all areas of employment and discrimination law. Ed has 9 years’ experience in employment tribunal hearings from his time working for trade unions. Ed is a dissertation supervisor on the Employment Law LLM at the University of Leicester and has given a talk to the Employment Law Bar Association (ELBA) on reform of the Equality Act 2010.
Ed has also appeared in the county court and is a trained civil-commercial mediator.
Ed takes instructions in all professional disciplinary matters. Ed has 9 years’ experience defending professionals in GMC, NMC and HCPC professional discipline matters from his time working for trade unions. This includes experience in the High Court in relation to interim orders. In December 2021, Ed successfully defended a doctor in a GMC matter after an 11-day hearing, with a finding of no misconduct. Since 2022, Ed has been instructed multiple times to advise, draft and conduct advocacy on behalf of Social Work England.
In March 2022, Ed acted on a pro bono basis for an amateur footballer in an appeal against a 7-game suspension with the Football Association.
Ed has guest lectured on regulatory and public law for master’s degree courses at Liverpool John Moores University and London Metropolitan University.
Ed is qualified to accept instructions on a direct access basis under Public Access.
- LLM – University of Leicester – Employment Law – Top mark in the year (2020)
- BPTC – BPP University – (2017)
- Accreditation in Mediation – ADR-ODR (2017)
- LLB – Cardiff University – Law – (2013)
- BA – Cardiff University – Politics and Philosophy (2009)
Awards and Scholarships
- University of Leicester – “Bourn Prize for Best Masters’ Dissertation” (2020)
- Cardiff University Law School – “Innocence Project Bursary Award” (2012)
- English Speaking Union – “Best Speaker in Wales Award” (2008)
- The Henley College – “Brakspear Student of the Year Award” (2005)
- Middle Temple
- Industrial Law Society
- Employment Lawyers Association
- Employment Bar Association
- Institute of Employment Rights
- Association of Regulatory and Disciplinary Lawyers
Further Professional Information
Before coming to the Bar, Ed worked in the students’ union and trade union movements. He was elected President of Cardiff University Students’ Union and worked as an in-house advocate for two trade unions. From 2018-2021, Ed was the co-founder and presenter of Employment Rights Workshops (ERW) – a social enterprise that delivers employment rights workshops to 15-19 year-olds. In February 2021 Ed gave a talk at the Employment Law Bar Association (ELBA) on law reform to address disadvantage on the basis of socioeconomic background.
Ed’s main interests are football, live music, theatre, stand-up comedy and quizzing. He is an Arsenal season ticket holder, and tries to see as many shows and gigs as he can. Ed also performs what he says is “very mediocre” stand-up at open mic nights. Ed has a love for pub quizzes and was a team captain on University Challenge in the 2009 series.