Jonathan prosecutes and defends in the full range of serious sexual and violent offences. He is recognised in the Legal 500 as one of the leading juniors in Crime on the South-Eastern Circuit.
“Recommended for cases involving serious disclosure issues.”
Legal 500 2021
‘Recent work includes drugs conspiracies and murder cases.’
Legal 500 2019
“Experienced in prosecuting sensitive and complicated matters.”
Legal 500 2018
Jonathan has developed a particular expertise in dealing with serious cases involving complex disclosure issues and as a result is regularly instructed by both the prosecution and defence in multi handed and complicated trials, both as led junior and junior alone.
Jonathan also has particular experience in representing youths in cases involving serious sexual offences and defendants charged with historic sexual abuse cases.
Jonathan regularly receives instruction from a number of other agencies. These include the NCA and the Home Office in relation to Forfeiture and Condemnation hearings and instructions from Sussex Police to advise on applications for Warrants and to act as independent counsel to consider LPP.
Jonathan has experience in condemnation and forfeiture hearings. He has also been regularly instructed by Sussex Police to act as independent counsel to consider LPP and to advise on Warrants.
Grade 3 CPS Prosecutor
Accident Exchange Panel of Approved Advocates
Vulnerable Witness trained.
BPP – Bar Vocational Course (Very Competent)
Sussex University – CPE (Merit)
University of Bristol – BA (Hons)
Sussex Bar Mess
- R v RB (2018) Instructed as Disclosure Junior by South East Complex Crime Unit in high profile historic murder case. The case related to the 1986 “Babes in the Wood” murder and the re-trial of Russell Bishop after the Court of Appeal quashed his previous acquittal.
- Operation Lancehead (2018) Led Junior for the prosecution in 8 handed conspiracy to Murder and Supply of Class A drugs trial.
- R v AA (2018) Defending in sexual assault on vulnerable 14 year old victim. Case involved cross examination of 3 young and vulnerable witnesses within the context of a wider background of alleged grooming of young girls.
- R v DB (2017) Led Junior for the defence in multi-handed conspiracy to smuggle Class A drugs into Lewes Prison. Case involved detailed analysis of a large amount of telecoms data.
- R v JL (2017) Instructed by SECCU as disclosure junior in murder case, where a prisoner had stabbed a fellow inmate within HMP Coldingley.
- R v G S-E (2017) Defending 13 year old boy charged with rape of 10 year old sister.
- R v UE, FS, SP, HZ and HR (2017) Prosecuting people smuggling conspiracy at Canterbury Crown Court.
- R v AH (2016) Defending as Junior alone in historic sexual abuse case. The case involved detailed cross-examination of young complainants. The Defendant was acquitted on all counts
- R v MS (2016) Led Junior for the defence in multi-handed rape trial. The case involved young and vulnerable complainants and elements of sexual grooming by a group of young men. All defendants were acquitted.
- R v FC (2016) Defending an elderly man alleged to have sexually abused his niece in the 1950s and 1960s. Case was complicated by the defendant’s extreme ill health.
- Operation Victory (2015) Prosecuting as Junior alone in multi-handed Class A drug conspiracy. Trial involved a number of sensitive issues including live evidence from an undercover police officer and prosecution witnesses, who had previously been convicted as part of the conspiracy.
- Operation Latin (2015) Led as Disclosure Junior for the prosecution in 50 count indictment of historic child sexual abuse over a period of around 30 years by 3 care worker at a school for vulnerable children in Kent.
- Fracking Cases (2014) Prosecuted a number of cases arising from the protests against Fracking at Balcombe. The cases involved complex issues of human rights and public law.
- Director of Border Revenue v RS (2018) – Condemnation proceedings relating to a large number of seized cigarettes.
- Director of Border Revenue v AC (2017) Condemnation proceedings relating to importation of cigarettes.
- NCA v AA (2016) – Application under POCA 2002 for release of detained cash.
- NCA v VSN and TVN (2016) – Forfeiture hearing under the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002
- R v B & M (2017) Instructed by Sussex Police as independent Counsel to review LPP material. The case involved the importation of firearms. I was instructed to review material held by the police.
- Operation Liberty (2016) – Instructed by Sussex Police to advise on LPP relating to material seized as part of an investigation into fraud by a solicitor’s firm.